Functional Medicine Consult
A Functional Medicine Consult is an hour-long, in-depth evaluation using detailed history intake, review of prior tests and procedures, and functional medicine assessments to identify root causes of heart and vascular disease, hypertension, elevated cholesterol, and metabolic syndrome. The root causes are related to inflammation, metabolic, toxic or hormonal imbalances, stress, and nutritional deficiencies.
- A Functional Medicine Consult is most appropriate for:
- Patients with a family history of heart disease in a first degree relative, such as one of the parents, especially if younger than 60 years old.
- Patients with early atherosclerosis such as coronary artery calcium score greater than zero, or an abnormal vascular ultrasound demonstrating thickening in the carotid arteries.
- Patients who are genetic carriers of the high-risk single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs), such as 9p21, MTHFR C677T, Apo E3/4 or Apo E4/4.
- Patients with disordered cholesterol metabolism, especially if intolerant of statin medications, or preferring to avoid them, or known to have elevated Lp(a) or SLCO1B1 polymorphism.
- Patients with ongoing inflammation, including those with elevated inflammatory markers, such as high-sensitivity C-reactive protein, LPLAC-2, MPO, fibrinogen.
- Patients with metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, pre-diabetes or diabetes.
- Patients with signs and symptoms of hormonal imbalances, such as irritability, fatigue, excessive weight gain or inability to lose weight, decreased libido, skin and hair changes, temperature intolerance, sleep disturbance, emotional instability.
You can find one of our expert practitioners using Find a Practitioner feature, and engage them in a face-to-face visit, or a virtual consultation. A peer-to-peer referral from your doctor may be required for a virtual visit. Please, explore our patient Webinar Library or Case Studies to learn more. Many of our patients start with a Functional Medicine Consult, and progress into Cardiogenomic or Hormone Balance Evaluation or Fit In Your GENES program. Please, Contact Us to discuss your options, or if you need assistance.